Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Warm Excursion - Hang Up Pt 1

Example
Paul Gayten: New Orleans Player
Turned Hollywood Entrepreneur
Example
Greetings. Today’s selection is really quite funky, more of – how do they say – a “Friday” record than a “Wednesday” record. However, here at the Funky16Corners blog we’re all about breaking the rules, shaking things up and “thinking outside the box” (idiotic cliché overload!!!). Well, I suspect that the rules are loose, things are already shook, and the box is pretty small, so in tribute to expectations raised, lowered, and then – craftily – raised yet again, we bring you ‘Hang Up Part 1’ by Warm Excursion. Since hearing this tune years ago, I’ve been trying to track down and bag a copy, but the ever fluid world of funk 45s conspired against me – until recently – when a minty fresh copy rolled into my sights and was quickly, shot, stuffed and mounted (or things to that effect...). As I’ve stated her before, I’m always game for a funky organ jam, and this is a stellar example of that particular sub-genre. But first, a little background... The Pzazz label (“Put a little Pzazz in your jazz!”) was started by New Orleans legend Paul Gayten (funny, isn't it how things always make their way back to New Orleans?). Gayten, who wrote and recorded some seminal R&B in the Big Easy in the 1950’s, eventually winged it out to the West Coast where he ran things for Chess Records on that end of the map for some years. He started Pzazz in 1968, and over the next few years released all kinds of records; jazz, funk, soul and blues, with a catalogue including a few dozen 45s and a handful of LPs (and an especially cool label design). Pzazz had success with recordings by Lorez Alexandria, and also released sides by veterans like Louis Jordan. Also included in their discography is another funky organ classic, ‘Twitchie Feet’ by The Soul Machine. I haven’t really been able to track down much information about the group Warm Excursion (subtitled ‘Terrible Three’ on the 45 label). They recorded at least one other 45 for the Watts-USA label, ‘Funk-I-Tus’ b/w ‘Phut-ball’, and were almost definitely LA-based. There’s also a rumor that they recorded a full albums worth of material, which was destroyed at some point. ‘Funk-I-Tus’, which was included on one of Goldmine’s ‘Sound of Funk’ volumes is a loose, funky organ jam. If you’ve ever heard ‘Soul Brother’ by Art Butler (blogged here months ago) ‘Funk-I-Tus’ has a really similar groove. ‘Hang Up Pts 1&2’ delivers a little more on the “jazz” promised on the label. The tune is a hard hitting slice of jazzy funk, with some hard (well-recorded) drums, wailing Hammond organ and sax. The horn chart sounds JBs-esque, and the playing is top notch. The group sound mixes elements of the harder-edged soul jazz coming out on Prestige in the same era, as well as early Kool & The Gang. There’s a very nice sax solo leading into the fade out of Part 1. ‘Hang Up Pts 1&2’ appeared at one point on a Ubiquity records comp, but I don’t know if it’s still available. Most of the Sound of Funk volumes can still be picked found. If you’re digging for 45’s, expect the ‘Hang Up’ 45 to pull upwards of $40-$50 out of your wallet, and the ‘Funk-I-Tus’ 45 to hit you for over $250.00.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dan Phillips said...

Nice score, Larry. I've never heard much from Gayten's label. Obviously, I need to dig deeper. Thanks.

10/20/2005 12:52:00 AM  
Blogger guapo said...

I really like this!

10/20/2005 02:42:00 AM  
Blogger Red Kelly said...

As always, grogan, you got it goin' on!!

what a groove man!

my entire prior experience with Pzazz was a christmas 45 (!) on Louis Jordan - #015: "Santa Claus, Santa Claus" b/w the aforementioned "SAKATUMI"... I had no idea the label could rock like this!

how cool was paul gayten, huh?

10/20/2005 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger Agent45 said...

So um...where do I get some eyebrows like THAT???

10/26/2005 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Horace Kent said...

thank you dude......keep spinnin

11/02/2005 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger furgurl said...

I am Anne Bartee and I recorded for Pzazz records.. I recorded 24th Day of July, Come into my Arms again, Living for someone like you., I'll be yours,, all for Paul Gayten of Pzazz records.. are they being sold now in compilations.. you can hear me on garageband and my site is http://annebartee.s5.com and www.garageband.com/artist/annebartee email:furgurl@lycos.com

11/06/2005 04:26:00 AM  
Blogger furgurl said...

Paul Gayten signed me to his label and we had alot success.. I recorded 24th Day of July, Come into my arms Again plus many more,, he signed me because I am damn good at what I do,, and yes he has good taste too,, thanks for the site,, anne {the Voice} Bartee furgurl@lycos.com

11/28/2005 03:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web page hit counter